MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

Using Raised Beds In Winter. Part 2

This is a brief report about my experience with two of my wooden framed beds. First post is here: Using Raised Beds In Winter. The final result - success! I will do it again!
The idea was to find more space for making compost since my compost pile and composter were full already. All the usual materials - dry leaves, selected food leftovers, newspapers, egg cartons, weeds, finished perennials, etc. were used. Not all the ingredients were 100% rotten. I removed the bigger remaining pieces with a rake and my hands. But, most of the ingredients composted totally.
 Since I was not sure if there were enough needed elements in the compost, one or a half of a garden soil bag was mixed in while a final preparation of the beds was made in spring.
 Things for myself to remember:
- place smaller pieces of materials into the beds;
- stop adding tougher materials in early spring;
- never ever ever put potato rinds in the compost, UNLESS you want to grow potatoes there!
I did put some potato rinds in the raised beds. Then, in spring, I tried to get them out. Naturally, some of them remained uncovered and started sprouting in spring. I decided to leave several plants and voila! we had normal, middle to large size tasty potatoes!
 I have potatoes growing in  my garden from the store-bought potatoes which I planted just because they were not used in the kitchen and I wanted to show my kids that potatoes don't grow in a grocery store (here is the post Back To Potatoes!) So, I have those potatoes growing already for the third season. Now, rind potatoes joined them. I think I'll never get rid of them and I don't want to!
Raised bed potatoes were EASY, since I didn't do any hilling. There is not enough soil and space there for hilling. Nevertheless, potatoes grew well! Here are some pictures.
Above: in August, the green potatoe plants on the back and fava beans in front of the picture.
 I don't harvest all of the potatoes at the same time. Usually, I dig only as many potatoes as needed for dinner.
Above: If one of the smallest potatoes shown above is left in the soil, it'll start growing in the spring.
 Above and below: The size of the potatoes was pretty big.
 I also have Peruvian Purple fingerling potatoes. They also grow from the potatoes that I first planted in 2009. They are ready to be harvested while their foliage is still green.
 In the next picture, you can see how dense is the fingerlings' foliage. The vines were up to 9 feet long. All the lower right quarter in the picture is taken by Purple Peruvian foliage with small white flowers:
I have already started to dump composting materials into one of the raised beds. To keep the raised beds looking tidy, I cover  them with soil. Prior to that, I removed the upper layer of the soil and spread it around the garden.

***Copyright 2011 TatyanaS

21 comments:

  1. Every thing looks so healthy! You have a very productive garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, what are you going to do with Purple Peruvian potatoes? I've first met it here and I don't know how to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize potato rinds would turn into plants! A good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, potato rinds make new potatoes...hmmm. I have had them sprout from some rotten ones I have thrown in my mini compost heap. But I never harvested them...it's behind a bunch of shrubs, and is well hidden.

    I love raised beds, always will.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great looking garden and congratulations on your successful experiment with composting in place! Your produce looks so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone!
    Stasy, I cook them (whole or cut in half) in the oven with salt, pepper, garlic mix and olive or grape seed oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One year I was trying to start a woody shrub and was told to put it in a potato. The shrub died, but I got some wonderful potatoes. I agree with the rinds in the compost. I had a potato growing with my grape and that is the only way the could have happened. Your garden is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Tanya ! Love to see your vegetable garden. I have some small potatoes ready to sow now. We have a mild winter here, so I think, I will give it a try ...
    Have a nice evening !

    ReplyDelete
  9. As my Father got older he switched to veg in raised beds. I like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those purple potatoes! I never thought about growing things with long (9ft!) vines in a raised bed. Looks like you've had great success, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing. I read both posts and hope to finally convince my husband to let me have my raised bed(s) in the garden ;-)
    Bye,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  12. We garden in raised beds too. I find that more managable than the traditional garden that I grew up tending. I've not grown potatoes yet, but I need to plant some. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantatic raised beds - you are so clever. I always rotate my vegetable plantings, but yours look so healthy. Returning plantings tothe soil is very nature-like

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post Tatyana, wish I had the room to do this on a large scale. However, I am going to try some cold frame plantings on my patio.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great way to make a garden, above the ground. My son does that also. I have never seen puple potato's but they probably taste the same.Good health to you and Bon appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A really long time ago I made the mistake with the potatoes rinds in the compost. Yes, many potatoes appeared. It was a learning experience and found out much later from Cornell that is highly frowned upon for the spread of potato blight. Good reminder for all, Tatyana.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're growing purple Fingerlings! My fave! Would you like my address? You can send me a basket of them. :))) Just teasing. Green with envy that you're still growing strong. I'm shoveling snow...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the idea of taking the top layer off the bed and spreading it around the other plants. I usually end up adding lots of compost because the large roots take a lot of soil with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am impressed! You make it sound so easy I want to grow some potatoes of my own! I would like to try the purple ones just because they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I envy you your mild winter weather. The spuds look great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*