MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

Fall Garden Snaps

October and November 2020 were delightful in the garden due to the warm and not so wet weather.
First, some October pictures in no particular order.


Euphorbia characias 'Tasmanian Tiger':

READ MORE >>>>

The process of controlling Japanese anemone, above and below, is endless. It wins, I know...

Aralia cordata 'Sun King'


Japanese maples had enough time to slowly turn their colors:




Santolina, new in my garden

Also, my new addition Mertensia maritima (simplicissima). Oysterplant, oysterleaf, sea bluebells

Oh, this begonia grandis, so easy and delightful!

More pink color - Gaura


Impatiens omieana is happily blooming. It never bloomed in its previous spot, dry with afternoon sun.


Schefflera delavayi blooming

No doubt, everyone has a pink alligator in the garden. I don't know about yours, but mime is guarding the roof from squirrels.

My anti-squirrel squad. I can't say it works 100%, but at least, I feel I do something to deter squirrels from getting into the attic.

This was the first time I had a Brugmansia. I am impressed with its beauty and easiness to grow.


Non-stop blooming, die-hard Fuchsia 'Dollar Princess'

Long blooming, hummingbird magnet - Salvia 'Black and Blue'

Azalia (probably 'Northern Lights') in the left lower corner has beautiful fall foliage

Well, I'd prefer Rhododendron 'Honey Butter' to wait until spring, but it gives several blooms in the fall.


Little Olive Tree in the pot



Oakleaf Hydrangea, Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snowflake' and Viburnum

Work in progress
This was one of my summer projects - to do something with a very dry corner of the garden. 
At last, we found a solution!


Cotinus, Berberis, Japanese maple and Hakonechloa provide fall colors here.
This bed used to be a place where I put any plant I haven't found a right spot for. 
I call it an Accidental Bed or Nursery.


These grapevines were planted here not for fruit but to create a canopy for shade-loving plants underneath.

Should I be concerned about not-clumping bamboo at the garage wall?
It's clumping pretty actively!


To plant or not to plant, that is the question!


Another fuchsia 'Dollar Princess'. Actually, this is the mother plant of several shrubs growing in different corners of the garden.

Hakonechloa macra is getting divided periodically and provides plants needed in other spots through the garden. 

Agave and Yucca were moved to the little porch to hide from the rains during overwintering


Persicaria loves this spot!


Rose 'Mutabilis', 'The Butterfly Rose', simple and elegant


Cotinus Royal Purple in the pot with Cenecio 'Angel Wings' and a Hydrangea, a gift from my friend.



Hydrangea 'Endless Summer'

Several colors on one plant!

There can't be too many frogs in the garden!
One of my very first memories, I guess I was about 2-3 years old, is my Mom holding my hand and saying: June already... Frog! Do you see the frog?
I didn't see the frog, I probably didn't even know what a frog was, but I remember that she was very tall.... now I understand that I was very small then...

Beautiful rusty color of Magnolia macrophylla Ashei


I already wrote about this Japanese maple. It grew from a tiny seedling I found in the garden. 
Its foliage beats the foliage of other maples!


Boehmeria tricuspis 'Akaso' 

Now, we are moving to November!


I love our rustic garden table, custom made by Port Orchard craftsman Travis Foreman.


Grapevine got loose!


Blueberry fall foliage is one of the best!


Bought several Cornus canadensis, Bunchberry Dogwood, at Bainbridge Gardens. Needed to buy more!


The same Japanese maple, seen in October garden, getting brighter red leaves. It took it several years to reach the red color! 
Ten days later, and it's shedding its leaves:




And yes, 'Honey Butter' still blooming!


Cercis canadensis 'Little Woody' bought from Dragonfly nursery



Cotinus, Berberis and Hakonecloa on the Accidental Bed or Nursery



Rabbits are a permanent feature in my garden. This guy sits right in front of the house's central entrance.


Old foliage on Hosta 'Halcyon' and new leaves of Cyclamen hederifolium 'White Cloud'


November garden provided lots of material for bouquets:





Thank you for strolling through my fall garden with me!

***Copyright 2020 TatyanaS

12 comments:

  1. Your fall garden is stunning! Feel very inspired after the photo tour! I'm very envious of your dark, rich soil. Looks so much nicer than our clay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin and thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you liked the garden pictures! Our soil is sandy with lots of rocks. It's not bad, but needs a lot of work preparing planting holes. Sometimes, it's easier to pile soil rather than dig the hole. I wish we all had loamy soil! :):)

      Delete
  2. Your garden is full of inspiration. The beauty of the plants and the way you plant them together, lovely. I am afraid my garden is a lot like your nursery garden. ha... I do enjoy it. It is sweet that you have such fond memories of your Mother due to the frogs in the garden. Squirrels are a pestilence here too. Rabbits do more damage to the garden than squirrels. Actually they seem to work as a team. The squirrels dig out the pots and the rabbits eat the rest so it seems. They are cute creatures but I could do with fewer of them. I always envy those that can grow the Japanese Forest Grass. I nearly die of envy of those that say theirs gets big enough to split and move around the garden. The fuchsia shrubs are like a miracle to me. If I had a greenhouse I would certainly grow one. Thank you so much for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I'm so glad you joined the tour and found time to write a comment. I appreciate that! I thought Japanese forest grass is hardy in zones 4-5. Did you try to grow it? If you lived closer, I'd provide you with dozens of Hakonechloa plants! Fuchsia amazes me too. I used to know it as a houseplant when I lived in the Far East. Greenhouse is a big help, I agree. Since we don't have it, I use our garage as a refuge for plants in winter.
      Lisa, Happy Holidays to you! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! I love it all, it would be so wonderful to see this all in person, but alas. Thank you for sharing all of this beauty that surrounds you. You inspire me. Thank you for your prayers for my fall injury. Greatly appreciated. Have a lovely Christmas ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine! I hope you are feeling better! Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  4. Tanya, your gardens are magnificent in their fall splendor. I enjoyed looking at these photos so much. Thank you for sharing them. I felt like I was actually there in your yard, admiring it all. I agree with the comment above, "Squirrels are a pestilence." How accurate. Rabbits are welcome here and excused for anything they decide to eat. We used to have a resident groundhog as well. Your property is a wonderland which I am fortunate to have discovered here in blog land. Merry Christmas and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, thank you so much! I'm happy you enjoyed the pictures! I love to watch squirrels and bunnies, but it's very frustrating when they destroy plants. I'm forced to use wire cages to protect the plants, and those cages don't add any beauty to the garden. But what would be a garden without wildlife? :)
      We never had groundhogs! Sometimes, moles come, and they are the worst!
      Thank you for the good wishes! Happy Holidays to you!

      Delete
  5. The foliage on the olive tree is beautiful. Japanese anemone is aggressive but that’s beautiful too.

    I agree that blueberry foliage is some of the best. It’s fantastic.

    I envy your being able to grow fuchsia, they melt down like crazy here in NC.

    I enjoyed your garden tour, it was lovely. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sweetbay, for stopping by! I never thought about NC being too hot for fuchsia... And I'm still amazed fuchsia's blooming here now, in December!
      Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  6. What fun it was to return to autumn once more through this post! I’ve grown Black and Blue Salvia before, but this was the first time I grew Black and Bloom. What a delight it was! It bloomed prolifically in the fall, long after frosts had visited. Now it will be a must have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin! I will certainly get Black and Bloom for my garden! It sounds like a great plant!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*