MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

My Summer Garden-2019

Blogging was not a priority during the summer for a very clear reason - gardening!
Fall is also busy, but at least I can choose some pictures of my summer garden, in chronological order.

 Poppies are my love.

Click below to read more



Columbines are appreciated too, but they take more time to thin them out, otherwise they will take over the flower beds.



Lately, I started to use more annuals in my front garden that was not typical for me. 


Right-side border is getting wider and wider thanks to my efforts to reduce the lawn, and it provides more space for plants:


The foxglove in the above picture probably came to the border from the Terrace Garden several yards away:


Weigela, below, was put in the pot just temporarily, Well, it spent the whole season there... 
As they say, nothing is more permanent than the temporary.



My Tree Peony from the front bed got some disease. I removed all affected parts, practically everything..., but didn't discard it.
I gave it a second chance and moved it to the other part of the garden:


These Lilies are multiplying and spreading through the garden:


Birds are making nests:


Cotinus is getting bigger and prettier:




Little white house with a vane on top stands on my rotating composter:



The Cistus hedge had its last season. I removed it in September:


First ever bloom on my Podofyllum from Gossler Farms:



This lovely native lily, below, came from a fellow NPA gardener whose garden I visited last summer. Gardeners are such sharing, kind people!


Saxifrage likes it here, and this particular colony has already jumped to the lawn:


Sweet Bay Laurel from Watkins Nursery:


Pelargoniums were doing good, both the newly bought and those overwintered in the garage:



Those were June pictures. Now, we are moving to July.

JULY

July was not hot and pretty dry.
Rose campion was a shy newcomer in my garden a couple of years ago, but now it got bolder, showed its superb ability to spread and, consequently, is getting pulled out.


I considerably reduced my Daisy population, but I still think they can be an easy and showy addition to the garden. Old-fashioned and reliable.


Romneya is not easy to relocate, but if settled down in some spot, it starts to actively spread:



I know for sure that I didn't plant this Feverfew, but somehow, it made its way to my garden:


Another plant that is happily spreading to the point where it needs to be controlled is Lobelia tupa: 



Below is the corner of the garden that had the most significant change this season.
Very few plants could grow on this small mound because of the dense mat of tree roots.
This year, our fir tree was removed due to its closeness to the driveway and two cedars belonging to our neighbors were also removed.
What a change happened after that! A half-bare mound started to turn into a lush plant bed.
The happiest of all was  Aralia Sun King:



I planted several new plants here, including Phormium that I got after division of the huge old container-grown plant, Malva from a generous garden friend (Thank you, Patti!) and hydrangea Oregon Pride  (a cutting from my own plant).


Filipendula is another newcomer in this bed:







Suddenly, I got interested in cacti! I had my first and I thought it'd be my last cacti while being a child. 
Now, I have four plants that I need to decide what to do with during winter:


It's not the first time I bought a pink Nasturtium. Well, I guess I'll keep trying to get an actually pink one:



I wrote previously about planting chives next to roses. I read somewhere that it reduces black spots.  Chives should be older than 3 year old. Well, what to say?
It doesn't eliminate 100 % of the black spots on this lovely rose, but there are very few of them (spots) and there could be weeks and weeks before I see any of them. So, just in case, I keep these chives here while remembering to remove its blooms timely.



Taller plants here are Campanula Pink Octopus (Thank you, Radell!):


This is the left side of the yard. I had a big problem with my multiple Fatsia japonica plants - brown spots on the leaves, yellowing and curling leaves. Mites were one of the culprits. Spraying foliage with sesame oil last year helped temporarily (Thank you, Jane!), but the problem returned.
Well, this time my son and I cut off the affected tops of the plants, sometimes radically.
So far so good. New growth appeared fast on the branches. Time will show how it goes in the future!


Fatsia japonica Spider Web behind Hosta:




This Hydrangea Oregon Pride has grown from a cutting of my big plant in the front bed:



Cotinus Royal Purple in bloom:









Below - it could be Begonia bowerae nigramarga. I saw a beautiful clump of it at Amazon Spheres last month.


I tried to replicate the Front Garden look from last year:






Senecio Angel Wings grew huge!













Japanese Anemone is turning into a gorgeous weed. I started to pull it out, otherwise it'll take over the garden!



Look at them in the Sunken Garden:


I do like Perennial Phlox. There are white, melon-pink and purple phlox in my garden.




All the Yucca plants bloomed this year. I guess they all matured:


This year, bunnies left my Black Mondo grass alone. It was eaten to the ground last year:


Stachys officinalis is a very attractive plant, but I started to pull it up since its getting weedy!


I wish my Thalictrum rochebrunianum (Meadow Rue) would spread the same as Japanese Anemone and Stachys.


Little Eugenia looks like it stands between its parents :)

*********************
 Fatsia japonica plants cut down due to their tops disease:



Plants in different parts of the garden were affected, including these behind the garage:


The tall trunk below belongs to my oldest Tetrapanax. Its top mounts above the garage's roof:


Hydrangea started to bloom in July and is still going strong now, in October:


Less blooms equals larger bloom heads.



I left this shrub at the bathroom window alone, and it grows as tall as it wants:


Ligustrum blooms are pretty, but my eyes and nose react to their smell:


My Potager doesn't get enough sunlight, that is why I set a couple of cucumber containers in the dry zone in front of the house:


The Potager still have kale, beets, arugula, sage, parsley and other herbs:



Back to the Terrace Garden:



***

Monarda is a good spreader and hummingbirds love it:









Pagoda, at last, got moved to the Shade Garden:


This is a new Abyssinian Banana Tree, the fourth in my garden:



Japanese maple, to the right from the Gunnera, got very bushy and later I gave it a good thinning to show its beautiful structure:


More different hydrangeas:





 Terrace Garden at the end of July:




Hardy Schefflera:



***
Moving to August garden:


Ginger Lilies


Viburnum's second bloom. By the way, this plant is still blooming now, in October, and it's not just random blooms, it's a good generous blooming!


Love the purple phlox! Thank you, dear Karen!


Local plant swap find - variegated Butterfly Bush:


Helenium:


Meadow Rue past its prime time:



August garden looks disheveled:


Humming birds switched to Salvia Black and Blue:





Fuchsia loves cooler temperatures.




Dichroa's blooms are lovely:




Nicotiana is getting wild in my garden. It seeds everywhere to the extent that I started to pull it out.
 But, it's so nice to see its white blooms even in late fall!


  





Gunnera is happy in this spot with some sun and good moisture.





Anemone that I mentioned before... so beautiful and oh, so invasive in my garden.
Innocent faces and aggressive rhyzomes...





Sunken Garden in August:


Agave is one of my favorite plants:



The only Gladioli that managed to bloom before being eaten by bunnies:













    *
Well, this is one of the Fatsia plants  after removing its tops.  New growth!


Very strong plant! This is the first time in more than 10 years that it got a problem.


This Aralia Sun King, below, was just developing blooms in August, but now, in October is in full bloom.


I think I will finish my summer report with this cyclamen picture:


Thank you for stopping by and for your time!
Have a wonderful end of October!

***Copyright 2019 TatyanaS

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, no wonder we've not seen you here in blogland. You have a lot to take care of there in your lush and luscious gardens. It's all beautiful! I thought about you the other day wondering what happened, glad you've just been busy in your gardens. Thanks for sharing and happy autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, thank you so much for thinking about me! I appreciate your kind words! All the best to you and your garden!

      Delete
  2. Seeing all of these beautiful photos made my day. Thanks so much for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith! This summer was good, and the plants showed their best!

      Delete
  3. It is good that you have been busy in the garden. Your photos make your garden look gorgeous. I so enjoy seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is gorgeous, Tatyana. I think I need to try Lobelia tupa again. The photo with the hummer taking advantage of those gorgeous flowers is so cool. Does it feel like summer went by too quickly? It sure does to me and I'm not ready to say goodbye to it all yet. At least we have our photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace! Summer went by TOO quickly, I totally agree. Lobelia tupa is pretty tough in my garden, and it spreads! If you need some, I can bring some extra plants to Eugene during one of our trips there.

      Delete
  5. Великолепно! Спасибо за удовольствие, Таня.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Галя, спасибо, дорогая! Никогда у меня такого не было, чтобы не писала в блог три месяца с хвостиком. Так что выложило всё лето сразу!

      Delete
  6. You have been busy in the garden and it looks so pretty
    Handsome Jack is always a good boy too.


    Linda C in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! I am so glad you stopped by! Thank you! All the best to you and your furry friends!

      Delete
  7. With the chill and damp darkness of autumn set in, it's nice to return briefly to the beauty and abundance of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda! At last, we have some time to enjoy the pictures of our own gardens and those great gardens that we visited during summer!

      Delete
  8. Your garden is amazing, Tatyana. Thanks for sharing the bounty of beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Beth! Thank you! Sometimes, after seeing great open gardens, I think that I don't have a garden at all! This feeling doesn't last too long, but... I need to work harder :) !

      Delete
  9. Meraviglioso! È proprio il giardino dei miei sogni! Complimenti davvero!

    Ti auguro un buon periodo di feste e un buon inverno :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have a list of all the hostas you have in your garden? I'd love to know some names as I just am starting my garden in Portland, OR.
    Thank you in advance :)
    Absolutely love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the list, but I try to keep the labels. Some of my hostas are: Big Daddy, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Albo-marginata, Praying Hands, Komodo Dragon, Hosta ventricosa.
      Happy gardening! I love Portland, and Oregon nurseries are the best!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*