MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

In My March Garden



With spring coming early this year, my garden has awakened and shows new growth every day.
One day, I can look at some spot and it's bare. Next day, there are will be 2-inch stems with leaves at the same place! 
And, if Hosta emerging in early March isn't enough, then potatoes appearing in February are a clear sign of a premature spring!
They grow on the same spot from small tubers left in the ground. 

New Japanese Maple is a gift from a wonderful gardener.
To the right from it, the weirdly looking clamp is my Gunnera manicata. 


Two Bird Nest Spruces at the arch are new in the garden.




 The right border is getting wider and wider.
I continue to cut strips of the lawn to provide space for new plants.

 Edgeworthia papyrifera (planted in 2014)


 Dichroa fibrifuga, Hydrangea relative from China

Larix decidua 'Pendula', Weeping Larch.


 Hyacinths were bought several years ago as winter bulbs for indoor blooming.
They made it to the garden, and I can see their cheerful blooms from the house.



Mild moist winter is what moss needs!

 Camellia


Loyal Hellebores are blooming long and nice


 Daphne odora 'Marginata'

 Shrub panax 'Kiwi Gem'. If I want to keep it in the pot, I need to start pruning it.

 Euphorbia

 Anemone


 Petasites love the wet spot at the northern wall of the house.
Last year, I was able to prevent its excessive spreading by pinching its roots.
I should see if it will work this season.

 Schefflera delavayi starts showing its potential to grow big.
Soon, I'll be able to see if I chose the right spot for it.

Oriental Lilies

 Peonies

 Euphorbia x martinii. Love it! 


Small blooms of Grape Hyacinths are adorable. Love to watch them from our breakfast area.
The plants are actively spreading in the palm containers.



I know the dog takes all the attention in this picture, but I am actually looking at my Escallonia bushes.
They've been performing incredibly well all these years. 
Time'll come, and hundreds of bees will attack Escallonia flowers and fill the air with their non-stop buzz.


Spring chores have suddenly got almost overwhelming.
Pruning, planting, replanting, cleaning, weeding...
By the way, I predict that the weed of the year in my garden will be Shot Weed (Cardamine hirsuta). 
I see it everywhere, not only in my garden, but everywhere in the neighborhood and the town .
P.S. And yes, slugs are already here! Young, shiny, fresh from eggs.
They love my Parsley and Swiss Chard that survived the winter.

***Copyright 2016 TatyanaS


18 comments:

  1. Yes the slugs are out in full force,I have been using beer traps and have drowned several hundred thus far. I have a friend that gave me coltsfoot and I planted it in our ravine,I hope I never regret doing that,but the leaves are so very pretty. I hope you open your gardens again soon,I would love to see your progress with all of the new additions. Happy gardening
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah your paeonies are already so far......and I really love that pretty Edgeworthya papyrifia, which I have never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tatyana, your garden looks very pretty this spring! I always love the lushness of the Pacific Northwest, so different from San Diego where I garden. How wonderful that Gunnera manicata is doing so well for your. I tried to grow Gunnera many years ago, but it didn't like my climate, which doesn't come as big surprise. Love your blue anemones! Last but now least you have a gorgeous German Shepherd there!
    Happy spring! Hope it continues as good for you as it started!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I love seeing your wonderful gardens, full of colorful blooms, greenery, statuary and your happy canine.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I just saw Escalonia at a nursery and had no idea what it was. I may have to get one, especially if they are bee friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks so pretty. I love the bunny in the first picture. I cannot wait to get and work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My garden is marching on too, faster than I can keep up. I still haven't done a bit of fall cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is just starting here...and I am smiling like your bunny seeing all the new growth here and in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you are ahead of the spring curve also. Isn't it lovely? I always see so many unusual plants there in your Pacific NW garden, so different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden, at once classic and full of whimsy, wears spring beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving comments! See you on your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the lovely tour in your amazingly beautiful garden. So much to see and enjoy <3 What's the name of your german shepherd? We also have one, he moved to us last November. He's an old gentleman, he'll be nine in June and he's very good company for our two young white swiss shepherds. Oh, dogs and a garden - what else do you need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiina! His name is Kenai (it's the name of the river in Alaska) and he is 4 years old. Our second German Shepherd, Amur, is 11 years old. You have three dogs? Wonderful!

      Delete
  13. We are sharing some of the same blooms, as well as an early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tatyana, I enjoyed the tour. I love how you are digging out strips of grass each season. I can't do that anymore. Larry has given up as much grass as he is willing to at this point. I look forward to going out tomorrow to see what all is up. I bought some plant markers because we are going to be on a couple tours this summer. I need to see what new markers need to go up. Thanks for your comment on my blog. The two photos you mentioned are favorites of mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much loveliness happening in your March garden, Tatyana. It seems spring was early all across the country. Yes, your grape hyacinths are adorable! P.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Your garden is looking great as usual! It's so nice to have spring back, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*