MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

Garden's View - First Half of November, Before the Freeze



The first half of November didn't look very autumnal in my garden.
A large number of evergreen plants kept it enthusiastically bright and cheerful.
Grapes, Hosta and Japanese maples gave the garden most of its yellow and crimson colors.

Yellow and red leaf grapevines with Solomon Seal (Polygonatum multiflorum ) in between

I am in love with grapes which grow in my garden not only for fruit (that I have very few) but mostly for the look.
Their climbing ability is so important for the garden's vertical effect, and the patterns which the vines create are pleasant for the eye. What to say about changing colors!




Japanese Aralia (Fatsia japonica) has a long bloom period.
All my three plants are in bloom now.




Like my grape plants, some of the Japanese maples grow in containers. This one was found as a seedling in our garden. Since every landscape in the neighborhood has maples, it's impossible to establish the parenthood.




The working table was cleaned  and cleared from all the summer stuff as well as tons of twigs, seeds and cones shaken from the trees by a recent windstorm.


Amur is the garden dog who supervises all my work.




Is it time to get the ducks into the garage?






I'm very pleased, so far, with the groundcover, Soleirolia / helxine soleirolii  (Baby’s Tears, Angel’s Tears).
I hope I can have it under control in this area separated from other parts of my garden!  
Removing parts of it doesn't look difficult.




The next picture is to remember the size of Tetrapanax, before the freeze came.



All the pots are emptied and cleaned; however,  I am not so good every year. Sometimes, they are just emptied.


The hosta is the only one in the autumn mood here:






 In the terrace garden, there are more fall hues thanks to the perennials.




As in other parts of the garden, grapes take the central stage here.
I even allowed one vine to climb the fir tree:


Blue flowers of  Salvia 'Black and Blue' can be seen together with fuchsia bright flowers:




Recently, I found some pictures of this corner without the gazebo. Clearly, it was a good decision to put the gazebo here. Three grape plants were also a good choice.









Lacecap Hydrangea Angel's Blush

My only pampas grass didn't produce any flower stalks again. Somehow, I don't miss them.


New in my garden, Spanish daisy (Erigeron 'Profusion Mix') is still blooming:


Snapdragon is pretty bold to bloom in November, the same as some shrub roses and Ceniranthus:


But, the best bloomer is  fuschia. This is, if I am not mistaken, Dollar Princess:




November sun is precious!




Both of my Clematis montana plants haven't changed their foliage to yellow yet.




If not for the reddish hue on the Burning bush, who would guess it's November!


Oakleaf hydrangea is getting some purple on its leaves:


The colors of the front garden are quite spectacular in the early morning.
Japanese maple, Red Abyssinian Banana, Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and two big Fuschia bushes provide splashes of bright color:












Young Japanese maple 'Autumn moon' shed almost all of its yellow leaves, while the mature Japanese maple further in the background is in its full bright yellow armor:










Abyssinian Banana in this picture, as well as two others, were dug out and moved into the garage a week ago.


Knockout roses say: Summer! Japanese maple says: Fall!


In the next picture, Japanese Aralia in bloom can be seen  with a small bush of  Edgeworthia papyrifera in front of it.  
I believe it's supposed to bloom much later, but it already has small white flowers which are not fully opened yet:






I like Astilbe's  brown colors, and I'm glad I didn't cut it!


Neighbors'  beautiful maple's foliage is an additional bonus:


The first low temperatures made some foliage wilt, but all in all there is no big damage so far.

I am joining Pam Penick  for Foliage Follow-Up.

***Copyright 2014 TatyanaS

37 comments:

  1. Oh Tatyana, your garden is stunning no matter what season. You photograph is so well too. Just a visual delight. You are lucky to still have blooms too. The frigid weather we've had lately has turned all the foliage here black. ugh. I think winter is here and I'm never ready. :( Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatyana, I just love your photos. The colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nita! Do you remember my previous garden, he-he?

      Delete
    2. Yes! You have so much more space and better climate now. My former "garden" is now the back yard of other families. You must spend hours in yours, but I can't think of a better (or prettier) place to be.

      Delete
  3. Tatyana, your garden is beautiful! I love your use of boxwoods and big leaf plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, thanks! I brought my red banana plants inside, and hope they'll survive. Their leaves are huge!

      Delete
  4. Your garden has a romantic elegance and is perfectly lovely in fall! Thanks for joining in for Foliage Follow-Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam for your comment and for hosting the FFU!

      Delete
  5. I do so agree about the importance of vertical elements in the garden, Tatyana. Love your red leaf grape -- mine is the ordinary green variety. The enormous leaves of your tetrapanax are amazing. As I think I said before, your house and garden are so.o.o beautiful in any season. P.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you so much! My red leaf grape needs more sun to get a brighter color. I hope it can reach a height where it can get enough of it. But, even now, I'm grateful that it grows in part shade.

      Delete
  6. Great photos - your garden is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am glad you included your hand in the Tetrapanax photo. That plant is incredible! It must make a huge (no pun intended) statement in your garden, which is filled already with many beautiful and lush plantings. No, I would never have guessed November. It seems to be a semi-tropical paradise! And even after the freeze it will remain lush, due to the evergreens. Thanks for a very enjoyable tour. Amur is obviously doing a very good job in his supervisory position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! Last year, that Tetrapanax was a bit higher than me... I'm afraid to think how it'll look next year!

      Delete
  8. Amur looks willing and ready to herd those ducks for you. What a sweet companion for what is usually a fairly solitary hobby. I would love to see my garden looking like that in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricki, thank you! Amur is a wise dog. We have a second shepherd, young one, and that one can't be turned loose!

      Delete
  9. Your gardens are lovely for November Tatyana and I love your giant tropical looking foliage! Thank you for dropping by my blog to say hello and a Happy GBBD to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, as always, Tatyana! Your Grape Vines and Japanese Maples are so gorgeous. And I can't believe how large those Tetrapanax leaves are! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you! Interestingly, that Tetrapanax leaf wasn't the biggest. I couldn't reach the biggest one, since the plant is very high. I love it!

      Delete
  11. Your garden is looking, as always, beautiful and I agree with Pam that it has a romantic elegance and also a sense of fun and playfulness. You are lucky to have such a handsome, wise, and meticulous supervisor! Amur is quite a good gardener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I'm wondering what winter has in store for our gardens!

      Delete
  12. Your garden pictures are as stunning as always Tatyana,and it all looks still so green, I suppose that have changed by now, but it's beautiful. Love to see your dog on the pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janneke and thank you! This garden is always green thanks to the fir trees and some other evergreens.

      Delete
  13. It's like walking through a dream to see your garden tours. So beautiful with an old world style that I just enjoy so much. I have added two grapevines this year and they are still green but I think color on the leaves would be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I hope your grapevines will give you some fruit! Mine are not very productive, but I enjoy their foliage!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for letting me have a stroll in your beautiful, big garden – well, huge compared to mine at least :-) Loved all the different autumn colours and the way you photographed everything, autumn leaves are so pretty and make up for less flowers in a big way. Nice to see your dog too, and all your containers spread around makes me sigh…I thought I had many containers but you have lots!
    I hope the big freeze hasn’t done too much to your lovely garden, I saw it on the news over here tonight, freezing temperatures all over US, even in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, thank you! Most of my containers went to the garage; they have geraniums, which, I hope, will come to life in spring again. Our corner of the world got lucky and avoided a big freeze!

      Delete
  15. I love the fuchsias and the grape vine -- the vine looks wonderful entwined with so many things -- and the statue covered in moss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetbay, thanks! I'm wondering if I should do some things that can encourage moss to grow on the right side of the statue. Or, should I leave it as it is.

      Delete
  16. Oh your beginning autumn garden is dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks! It's the end of month now, and we finally are getting some brownish colors that look like fall!

      Delete
  17. The soft focus you have put on the photos seems so appropriate for fall. I hope your garden has survived the freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, thanks! It did survive! We had only a couple of cold nights.

      Delete
  18. Your garden is still gorgeous in November! Mine was still doing quite well till this week, when snow and bitter cold arrived suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I hope you are warm there! We expect winter, but when it comes, it's always a surprise!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*