MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8a. Sunset climate zone 5

Blog Archive

Friday, October 21, 2011

American Apple Pie and Russian Samovar

Now you know what I did with the apples that we picked at Sunrise Farm!

I am glad you liked the pictures of the dahlias and animals from that farm shown in the post Barns and Dahlias. These apples were tasty but a bit hard. Perfect for baking!
We ate part of them, and I used the rest of the bunch to make an apple pie. It's easy nowdays to find recipes. The Internet offers hundreds of them. Just choose what appeals to you. I chose a very simple recipe from here.
Ingredients:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 apples - peeled, cored and sliced. The recipe calls for Granny Smith apples, but I used those which we had.

Directions:
 -Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
-Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
-Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

I like to put some powdered sugar on top of the pie:
*


This is my new Russian samovar which I bought in late July. Isn't it beautiful?
It is not functional, so I use it only for decoration.


The lovely hand-painted tray on the background was one of the wedding gifts my father gave us, and the big wooden red-yellow-black vase on the left was made in Russia for our first wedding anniversary. The nesting dolls are a gift from my sister and my niece.

Did YOU bake an apple pie this fall?
*
Finally, several more pictures from the farm:









***Copyright 2011 TatyanaS

16 comments:

  1. That certainly looks tasty, a new career maybe?

    I really like the way they mulched the lavender with straw.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pie looks so yummy! Now I am hungry for pie. LOL! Your new samovar is just gorgeous. I just love all of the bright colors and flowers. Too pretty to use anyway Tatyana. I love the covered wagon shot with the pumpkins. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple pie is scheduled for next week :) At least the first one of the season. Your pie looks delicious! Your new samovar is very beautiful. The display with all your other lovely gifts is perfect. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two apple trees, and we have baked many apple pies, so many we had to give some away! And I have quarts of apples frozen in the freezer, waiting for our second wind. By Thanksgiving we will be back in apple pie mode, I am sure. Thanks for the recipe! It looks yummy! And I love your farm photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pie is making me hungry, looks perfect.
    Loving all your collectables, very pretty and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. And about the applepie I am getting hungry. Must taste wonderfull.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  7. That farm looks wonderful, such fun seeing the animals. Also, apple pie, my favorite and what a great idea to use powdered sugar. Yes, I am a pie baker, made a starwberry rhubarb which I have in the deep freeze and will be making an apple pie for next weekend.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pie looks yummy but I only taste Apple pie in McDonalds, not being an apply fruit producer. I now remember about the Pavlova cake famous in Australia, which they gave me as a birthday cake when i was there. I thought it sounds Russian! I also love your Russian decor especially that doll, i have one as a present from a friend who visited Moscow. How is it called again? Marushka - am i right? And those purple colored plants i thought are grasses, turned out to be lavender, from a comment above. We dont have that so dont know it if pictured so close like that. All your photos are great of course, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful...my Dad gave me some Russian dolls a long time ago. They're so intricate and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy. I have not had a chance to pick any apples this season. I've enjoyed seeing your pictures though. Thanks for sharing. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos ! So many bright and warm colours ... The pie is a great tentation . I must bake one in the next day . Today, we have pumpkin cake on the menu .
    Have a nice sunday, Tanya !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pie looks really good. I already made my apple pie a few weeks ago from apples I got from local growers. I really like those nesting dolls. They are so beautifully detailed. The whole scene is photographed so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pie looks delicious! I make giant apple pies for Thanksgiving every year. My son peels the apples and I do the rest. My husband has traveled to Russia on business almost 30 times and my house is full of the same painted wooden vases, etc as yours! Your samovar is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can smell it and taste it...yummy! I have not baked an apple pie yet...maybe next week...love the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the farm picks, especially the lamas! The samovar and nesting dolls are beautiful. And now I want some apple pie..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a feast for the eyes, Tatyana! I loved every photo. Your pie surrounded by your beautiful Russian things is just mesmerizing. And the farm photos are so inviting, especially this time of year. I bet your family loved that pie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Search This Blog

Loading...

Follow by Email

Share it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Copyright 2009-2014 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



My New Plants Fundraising!

-->